The first phone with Google’s Tango tech is Phab 2 Pro, with the aim to help our gadgets examine the world around them and create whole new worlds in augmented reality.
A Back Packed with Camera and Sensors
Lenovo’s Phab 2 Pro is a huge phone. Lenovo Phab 2 Pro has got a massive 6.4-inch IPS LCD screen and a gigantic 4,050mAh battery under the hood. The phone has got capacitive buttons below the LCD screen. The reason behind the Phab 2 Pro being so huge is the Tango tech that Google has crammed inside the phone.
On the back, between the 16-megapixel camera and the fingerprint sensor, there are two more cameras. One of them has an infrared emitter to determine the distance at which the things are from the phone, while the other lens is a wide-angle camera with a fisheye lens that works as part of Tango’s motion tracking system.
The body of Phab 2 Pro is carved out of a single block of aluminum. The 6.4-inch LCD screen is covered with Gorilla Glass that is curved around the edges for a subtle 2.5D effect. The Phab Pro 2 has a single speaker carved out on the bottom.
A Massive Display
The panel on the 6.4-inch IPS LCD screen can optimize colors and contrast on the pixel level. The performance of the screen is excellent under direct sunlight. The 2560×1440 resolution means the display is still pretty good. Also, the viewing angles on the screen are pretty great.
An Impressive Battery and an Advanced Camera for AR
- Processor: The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro runs on a Qualcomm octa-core Snapdragon 652 processor specially optimized for Tango.
- Memory: With Phab 2 Pro, we get 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage, and the memory is expandable up to 128GB.
- Camera: The 16-megapixel rear camera plays an important part in making Tango’s augmented reality work. The camera produces detailed shots with colors that are true to life. It also has a front facing 8-megapixel camera. The camera app has eight scene modes. The touchup mode is for cleaning up your face in selfies and basic white balance and exposure controls. A tap on the AR button on the camera app gives you a live view of what’s in front of you along with options to turn that space into some fantasy scene.
- Audio: The Phab Pro 2 has a single speaker carved out on the bottom. The Phab 2 Pro comes with a Dolby Atmos app that launches automatically when the headphones are plugged in.
- Battery: The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro comes with a massive 4,050mAh battery that lasts for over 12 hours and has 2.4x turbo charging.
Tango can do a lot of interesting stuff right from simulating furniture shopping, navigating museums, diving in giant VR aquariums etc. Tango has been a part of a developer-kit tablet and was used for a lot of preliminary ideas. The most important skills of Tango are depth-sensing, location-mapping, and accurately placing virtual objects into reality. Most Tango apps on the Phab 2 are in landscape mode.
The most amazing feature about Tango is that with a bunch of 3D photo-mapped model you can walk around and map out interior spaces in full 3D. Tango can not only measure, but also learn about the shape of areas, like where objects begin and end. Lenovo claims that there are 22 Tango-ready apps to be launched this year, and almost 100 apps launching by the end of 2017.
The Phab 2 Pro is Costly
The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro is available in 2 colors: Gunmetal Grey and Champagne Gold, and comes in three models. The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro is priced at $499.
The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro is an incredible phone with a huge screen and a massive battery, and with the Tango tech supporting augmented reality.