Mobile devices have completely taken over the reigns of our life. Today, users make use of mobile phones to perform a myriad of tasks, from clinching business deals to shopping for groceries, booking flight tickets to playing the newest games, listening to all-time hit songs to watching the latest movies.
Introducing the Marshmallow
Mobile devices need to run on cutting-edge operating systems in order to offer a plethora of services that makes life simple and stress-free. And to keep up with the technological innovations, Google is soon going to launch its latest version of Android – the Android 6.0 Marshmallow for users and the Android Marshmallow Developer Preview 3 for developers.
Exciting New Features of Android M for Users
While Android M offers a plethora of new features and improvements, a few important ones are listed below:
- Fingerprint Scanner : Users who own mobile phones with fingerprint scanners will now have the freedom to use their fingerprint for authorization purposes. Users can now use their fingerprints to unlock their Android phone, access apps and make purchases, increasing the safety and security of their mobile devices.
- App Permission Controls : With Android M, users can now gain more control over their apps and the permissions they use. While previous Android versions compelled users to give either full permission or no permission to apps, they can now choose to provide control as and when they want.
- Sharing Made Easy : Android M introduces a new Direct Share feature that allows users to easily share content with contacts and groups through the use of quick links. With the touch of a single button, users will be able to share pictures and messages with people close to them.
- Status Bar Icons Deletion : Android M offers users the option of deleting icons from the status bar through toggles. Users can now choose the icons they wish to see on their status bar, ranging from Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, Alarm, Profile etc.
Benefits for Developers
With the Android 6.0 SDK, developers can now get apps ready for Android M and offer a variety of added benefits to users:
- Improved Usability : Android M will help users open links of websites through the most suitable mode, without asking for user permission, thus increasing speed and responsiveness of the activity.
- Efficient Power Consumption : Android M will feature a new function called Doze which is set to improve power efficiency. Through the use of motion detectors, Android M will be able to identify when the device is not being used and will cut down on running background processes, thus saving device power.
- Better Web Experience : Android M offers a new feature called Chrome Custom Tabs that allows users to leverage all of Chrome’s capabilities. It will allow apps to open a tailored Chrome window on top of the active app, instead of launching the Chrome app separately. This will ensure a faster and more intuitive user-experience while navigating between apps and the web.
- Easier Text Selection : With Android M, users will now be able to select text while reading messages or emails. The easy text selection option will allow users to perform a variety of actions like cut, copy and paste through the presence of a floating toolbar.
Releasing this Fall
While Android M will be available for users by the end of 2015, certain Nexus mobile owners (namely Nexus 5, 6, 9 and Nexus Play) can download the preview and experience the new Android M all by themselves from Google’s Developer Preview Site. With a handful of exciting new features and promising enhancements, Android M is sure to augment the overall user experience.